Transferring a Domain
Transfer your domains from another registrar to SiteHost and take advantage of SiteHost's domain management tools and surrounding services. This process can be used for both NZ and International domains.
Steps to Transfer a Domain
- Click the Transfer button which can be found on the top/right of the main Domains module.
- Enter the Domain Name you wish to transfer (e.g. example.co.nz).
- Enter the Auth Code for the domain.
- Click the Next button.
- Confirm that all the details are correct - the domain, the Auth Code and the renewal period if applicable. If transferring an International domain you will also be asked to confirm a Registrant, Billing Contact and Technical Contact.
- You can also change the Name Servers for the domain being transfered.
- Confirm that "I have read and accept the Terms and Conditions".
- Select the Transfer Domain button
A NZ domain transfer is typically processed immediately. An International domain can take up to 5 days to process and involves additional steps that must be actioned by the registrant.
We offer a bulk transfer service to migrate domains to our Control Panel. To use this service please submit a ticket to our support team.
Transferring NZ Domains
- You do not need to involve your old registrar in the transfer process, provided you know the Auth Code for your domain name. If you don't have the Auth Code, your old registrar is obliged to make it available to you promptly upon request and without charge. Learn how to request your Auth Code here.
- You cannot transfer a domain during the first five days after your domain was registered.
- If your domain is about to expire within 21 days of the requested transfer, SiteHost adds a renewal fee to auto-renew the domain for an extra year.
Transferring International Domains
- To transfer an Internation Domain you will need the current Auth Code, alternatively known as an EPP Key. You will have to get this from the current registrar you use to manage the domain.
- International domains must be renewed for 12 months when transferred. This adds an additional 12 months onto the current domain renewal date.
- The following International domains may be transferred at this time: .com, .net, .org, .info, .biz, .cc, .tv
- The domain must be unlocked before it can be transferred. Domain Lock prevents unauthorised transfers of your domain to another registrar or web host without your permission. It also protects you from inadvertently making unintended changes to your name servers.
- Lock or Unlock your domain in the SiteHost Control Panel by clicking the "Domain Lock" action button top/right of the domain detail page.
- If your domain is currently with another registrar, refer to their help documentation on how to unlock the domain to allow it to be transferred.
Read our detailed article on Transferring International Domains to learn more about the process of transferring of International Domains and potential issues that can arise.